Let’s face, you, me, we all procrastinate. When faced with a task, we often question, think and decide whether to do something or not.
In business, procrastination is a hot topic. In some instances procrastination causes stagnation as a business owner fails to move in any direction. This can be caused by overthinking, too many tasks and lack of clarity and focus.
On the other hand, procrastination can be a creative action, where you stop and review what you task can become, rather than force a knee-jerk reaction just because you need to complete something.
Too much procrastination on a regular basis can sap both your energy and your confidence, in who you are and what you do. Similar to the outcome of stagnation, where nothing happens, so too when you lack confidence, you feel less inclined to self motivate and boost yourself and the work you deliver.
To help you here are 12 ways to beat procrastination:
- Write only three things on your To Do List. Complete each priority task, 1, 2, 3 and then write three more.
- Spend 10 minute of focus on breaking big tasks into smaller chunks of time to allow you to focus on one thing at a time.
- Be kind to yourself. Avoid beating yourself up, aiming for perfectionism or high self expectation.
- Spend a few minutes thinking why you want to do a task – what is the value of the task?
- Be mindful. When you think negative thoughts such as fear of failure, shake your head.
- Stop and ask yourself three questions – Where are you? What do you want to do? How will you feel after doing it?
- Set deadlines to make a task/project concrete in your mind. Why? Because lack of clarity leads to procrastination.
- Go for a walk and stop thinking. Fresh air = greater clarity.
- Stop talking and Do It as the famous Walt Disney said. Take action to achieve results and outcomes.
- Focus on starting instead of finishing. When you visualise the first step and ask yourself: “What can you do right now?” you create momentum. Action takes place and you will get things done.
- Gift yourself a BONUS. Remember to celebrate the small wins.
- Breathe. Close your eyes, and focus on your breathing for 5 minutes.
What tips do you use to beat procrastination and achieve winning results in your business?